Monday 18 September 2017

My Top 10 Favourite Movies



I thought I'd go with something a bit different here as I've been doing reviews for quite a while now but I've never really went over my favourite movies except for some references here and there. I thought it might be a good idea as you'll now know how my mind works towards certain movies.

There will be no spoilers for any movies mentioned. Also my only rule for the list is that I can only pick one movie per franchise otherwise there would be so many similar picks.

Let's begin, but first a pretty huge list on honourable mentions. I tried to keep it smaller but I love a lot of movies and each one was considered for one reason or another for the top ten list. All are obviously recommended by me.

Honourable Mentions:

(In no particular order)

Pulp Fiction

The Conjuring

Captain America: Civil War

How to Train Your Dragon 2

Toy Story 2

Jaws

Mad Max: Fury Road

Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Paranormal Activity

Predator

Terminator 2

District 9

Ghostbusters (original)

The Babadook

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Hot Fuzz

Cabin in the Woods

The Shining

And I think that will do. I could have had others but I think that's more than enough. Now for the top 10.


10. IT (2017)



I know this seems very early considering that the movie has only been out just over a week at this time of writing, but I really feel that in a year or even a few months time, this'll still be on the list and may even move up a few spaces. Yes I enjoyed it that much.

At this point I've also now seen the movie three times and would not argue against seeing it a fourth. It has everything I love in a movie from fun, relatable characters to disturbing horror. It's basically a great Spielberg movie with a ton of gore, scares and even some surprisingly emotional scenes too added on for good measure. If you haven't seen it yet, definitely check it out ASAP.

You'll float too...


9. Halloween (1978)



This has been a favourite of mine for as long as I can remember. One of my earliest horror memories is watching one of my first scary movies in Halloween Resurrection, which I enjoyed as a kid but really dislike now, and from there I watched almost the whole series and fell in love with this classic.

If I don't watch this at least once during the month of October, something has went very wrong. A classic slasher that paved the way for just about every one we've had since. Michael Myers is such a legendary villain as he may seem like just a man, but the movie builds him up like he's a supernatural force to be reckoned with.

I have seen it quite a few times now and yet it's still somehow able to creep the hell out of me and even still scare me during some sequences. A must for anyone getting into horror.

Everyone's entitled to one good scare.


8. Back to the Future



I swear everytime I watch this movie I love it more and more. You may find I have a lot of movies from the 80s on here as I do love that decade.

I mean what's not to love here? Aside from the creepy incest plot point which is still disturbing to watch. Plus if it wasn't for this movie would we even have the joy that is Rick and Morty? It's just a fun time travel romp with awesome music (that Johnny B. Goode scene is still amazing, and the theme of the movie is still one of the best ever) with a finale that will have you on the edge of your seat no matter how many times you see it.

Great Scott!


7. Raiders of the Lost Ark



This one was a bit difficult as The Last Crusade could have easily taken the spot here but really nothing can beat the first one.

The first ten minutes alone are enough to make this list as it's just so fun and it's been parodied and copied so many times since. Harrison Ford is perfect as the hero and I even loved Karen Allen as the love interest as normally she would be there to be saved by the protagonist, but this movie was ahead of it's time and she was a badass herself.

Fun, creepy (face melting is not fun) and a movie I'll never get tired of watching. For some classic adventure, this one is a must.

Why did it have to be snakes?


6. The Lion King

I've probably seen this one more than any other on the list and apparently it was the first movie I'd ever seen. Hell it's the only movie I've watched twice in one day.

I love just about everything here from the voice acting, the songs (oh my god the songs!) and the story itself. I imagine a lot of people my age have this as one of their favourites as it kind of went balls to the wall in the way it dealt with the death of a major character as even today you don't really get scenes like that and you can relate to it no matter age you are. But if you were a kid like me, it was your worst nightmare and it's a scene that still brings tears to my eyes.

A stone cold classic and, in my opinion, Disney's best to date.

Hakuna Matata


5. Evil Dead II


This was another hard choice as I have a special love for every movie in the series, including the remake from four years ago.

Ultimately though you really can't go any better than the second instalment which features the best bits from every movie, from tense, chilling moments with Ash alone in the cabin to some of the best one liners you'll ever hear in one movie. The film made Bruce Campbell a legend and his scenes where he's fighting his own hand are some of my favourites as they're funny as hell and still manage to creep me out. It's still my first pick when it comes to Halloween time and I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it before.

Groovy.


4. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King


Another hard choice as I couldn't decide between this and Fellowship, but truly I've always enjoyed this one the most which a lot of people don't seem to agree with.

It is a long ass movie (4 hours and 10 minutes if you have the extended version) but I've never been bored for a second. With some of the biggest action pieces ever put to film and one of the most talented casts ever, everything just hits the mark here. Also Shelob's lair still scares the hell out of me. Screw that spider. The ending's may go on for ages, but I don't mind as I never wanted this to end.

For Frodo.


3. The Dark Knight


I've made it no secret how big a fan I am of Batman and this is where it all started. Before this film came out I was never really into Batman or DC, but this just changed everything.

After seeing this I just ended up becoming the biggest fanboy by watching all the other movies, reading a ton of the graphic novels and even checked out the entirety of the classic animated series and I've never looked back.

I can only really describe this movie as epic and if you've never seen it, you really owe it to yourself to see it. Heath Ledger's Joker is still one of my favourite performances ever and while he might not be my favourite Joker now, he's still the reason why he's my favourite character in all of pop culture.

Why so serious?


2. Aliens


I'll be honest I went back and forth a few times between this and number 1 but I feel this fits just right.

The awesomeness that is Sigourney Weaver returns in one the greatest sequels of all time to take on a huge batch of Xenomorphs ready to tear apart anything in their way. It wasn't really until I got to experience this movie in the cinema one year ago that I realised just how insanely good it is. It's scary, it's packed with action, characters to care about, and one of the coolest finales in cinematic history with Weaver's epic one liner that gives me chills everytime.

Game over man. Game over.


1. Star Wars Episode V: Empire Strikes Back


It was always gonna be Star Wars at the top spot and it was always gonna be this one. I did a review a while ago on FPG News after the tragic death of Carrie Fisher and I gave it 11/10

I stand by that rating all the way and I don't think I need to explain why this movie is top of the list. And if you haven't seen it before, I honestly have no idea how you've lived your life to this point. Take a weekend off, buy the original trilogy and have an absolute blast. It's the movie series that got me into loving movies in the first place and each one holds a special place in my heart. Yes even the prequels.

The force will be with you. Always.


Well there's my list and I hope that says a bit more about me. Keep checking the site for more reviews and feel free to leave requests.



No comments:

Post a Comment